The Wallet on the Bus

 The Wallet on the Bus



Maya was running late for work.

She hurried to the bus stop and was relieved when she saw the bus arriving. She quickly got on and found an empty seat near the window.

The bus was crowded. People were talking, checking their phones, or looking outside.

After about twenty minutes, Maya noticed a black wallet on the seat beside her.

She picked it up.

There was some cash inside, along with several cards and an identity card.

Maya looked at the name on the card.

"Arjun Mehta."

She looked around the bus, but no one seemed to be searching for anything.

For a moment, she thought about keeping the wallet.

She was saving money for a new laptop, and the cash inside could help her.

But then she imagined how worried the owner must be.

"What if he needs those cards urgently?" she thought.

Maya decided to give the wallet to the bus driver.

"Someone left this on the seat," she said.

The driver looked at it and placed it safely near his seat.

"Don't worry. If the owner comes looking for it, I'll return it."

Maya got off the bus at her stop and went to work.

Later that afternoon, she received a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Is this Maya?"

"Yes."

"My name is Arjun. I think you found my wallet this morning."

Maya was surprised.

"How did you get my number?"

"My phone number was written on a small piece of paper inside the wallet. The bus driver gave it to me."

Arjun sounded extremely relieved.

"I was looking everywhere for it. I had my bank cards, identification, and some important documents inside."

"I'm glad you got it back," Maya said.

"Can I meet you and thank you?"

Maya smiled.

"You don't have to thank me. Anyone would have done the same."

There was a short silence.

"Unfortunately, I don't think everyone would," Arjun said.

They agreed to meet near the bus stop that evening.

When Arjun arrived, he gave Maya a small box.

"What is this?" she asked.

"Just a little thank-you gift."

Maya opened the box and found a beautiful notebook.

"I know you don't want money," Arjun said, "so I thought you might like this."

Maya smiled.

"Thank you."

On her way home, she thought about what had happened.

She had been tempted to keep the wallet. Nobody would have known.

But doing the right thing had given her something more valuable than money.

It had given her peace of mind.

Sometimes, honesty doesn't give us an immediate reward.

But it gives us something we cannot buy: the feeling that we did the right thing.